Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:41:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      mike@seidata.com
To:        Tim Preece <bsdcurrent@scratch.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet and NIS queries

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Tim Preece wrote:

> scratch2 login: LOGIN root REFUSED (NOROOT) from scratch1.netlink on TTY
> ttyp0

As long as I can remember, root logins have always been refused over
network connections.  If you want to login as root over a network (bad
habbit, but ok for your own, private network I suppose) you have to
specifically allow it in /etc/login.access.

> reading about netgroup and creating /etc/netgroup with only + in it
> and re-make the yp Makefile does not produce netgrp.byname etc
>
> Do I need netgroup and if so what am  I doing wrong, Is this a problem
> with having ELF on one box and aout on the other !!!!!

If you're wanting to use NIS, you will need netgroup...  are both
systems members of the same NIS domain?  Are you initializing the maps
with ypinit -m on the master server?  Are you running all essential
daemons on both machines (namely, ypserv, ypxfrd and ypbind on the
master server and ypbind on the client server(s))?

Good luck...

--
 Mike Hoskins
 System/Network Administrator