Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:00:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@netvoyage.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tip to improve print resolution w/ HP DeskJet 600 (update!)

> On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

[this is in reference to using the ljet4 driver for ghostscript with the
HP Deskjet 600 -- bko]

> > 	I just gave this a try on my HP DeskJet 855c, it does print a lot
> > better in Black & White but too bad color doesn't work.....  Wonder when
> > will Ghostscript start supporting the 600 and 800 series printers...
[...]

An update on drivers for the HP DeskJet 600 and friends with Ghostscript:

Unfortunately, the ljet4 driver has a rather annoying problem with
alignment with the DeskJet 600.  However, there is another driver which
works:  the lj4dith driver, part of the cdj (color deskjet) drivers.
Unfortunately, it's a gray-scale driver -- still no color.

There are two difficulties with this arrangement:

1.  The alignment problem still exists, but it can be fixed.  In the file
"gdevcdj.c", look for a line which reads:

#define LJET4_MARGINS                 0.26, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

comment it out and replace it with

#define LJET4_MARGINS            0.125, 0.50, 0.125, 0.007

2.  Unfortunately, the cdj driver is NOT one of the default drivers
installed with ghostscript, and it was hard for me to get it enabled.  I
rewrote part of the port to make it easier to recompile the port version
to do it -- essentially, you need to edit the configure script in the
scripts version.  Here's the diff between the two versions (this is for
the gs3.53 port):

---- begin diff here -- no you probably can't run patch on it ----
10,11c10,15
<       < ${WRKSRC}/unix-gcc.mak > ${WRKSRC}/unix-gcc.mak.bak && \
<       mv ${WRKSRC}/unix-gcc.mak.bak ${WRKSRC}/unix-gcc.mak
---
>       -e "s;DEVICE_DEVS4=;DEVICE_DEVS4=lj4dith.dev ;" \
>       < ${WRKSRC}/gcc-head.mak > ${WRKSRC}/gcc-head.mak.bak && \
>       mv ${WRKSRC}/gcc-head.mak.bak ${WRKSRC}/gcc-head.mak
>
> cd ${WRKSRC}
> ./tar_cat
----- end diff ----

This changed configure explicitly adds the lj4dith driver, and allows
easier addition of more drivers (edit gcc-head.mak , run the script
tar_cat from the ghostscript distribution).

Now, the lj4dith driver should run with the deskjet 600.

FOR YOU COLOR PEOPLE

I have also heard that the paintjet driver works, but is deadly slow.
However, if you need color, this may be enough to get you it (I don't know
-- I don't have color carts for my DJ600, and I'm satisfied with good
black and white printing, which the dj4dith provides).

For more information about ghostscript, consult the ghostscript home page,
at

bryan