Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 16:01:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   passwd & bind error with snap

I was replying to someone one on the net, and I thought it might have a
better chance of being answered over here.

> In article <kehletD67ADx.7Jr@netcom.com> you wrote:
> : I feel sort of lame posting this, but I swear I can't figure out what's
> : going on.
>
> : I upgraded to 950322 SNAP from 950210 SNAP, and ever since I can't use
> : "passwd".  (I didn't do a "full re-install", I just unpacked the bin/*
> : and /src/srcsys* files, and rebuilt a new kernel with the new source.
> : I'm pretty sure I know what I was doing the whole time.)
>
> : Check this out:
>
> :  sumatra% passwd
> :  passwd: /etc/master.passwd: Permission denied
> :  sumatra% su
> :  Password:
> :  root% passwd
> :  passwd: /etc/master.passwd: Permission denied
> :  root% passwd -l
> :  passwd: /etc/master.passwd: Permission denied
> :  root% ls -la *passwd
> :  -rw-------  1 root  wheel  1036 Mar 28 20:41 master.passwd
> :  -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   829 Mar 28 20:41 passwd
> :  root% pwd
> :  /etc
> :  root% ls -la | head -3
> :  total 321
> :  drwxr-xr-x   8 root  wheel      1536 Mar 28 20:56 ./
> :  drwxr-xr-x  16 root  wheel       512 Mar 27 14:14 ../
> :  root%
>
> : What the heck's going on?  There's no lingering lock file stopping me;
> : "vipw", "chsh", "chfn", etc, still work okay.  I've scoured all the
> : man pages and can find nothing relevant.
>
> : I know this is really random, but I'm hoping it's something funny with
> : the new snapshot and somebody knows something about it.  I noticed
> : there was some work with "yppasswd" in this snapshot, so I thought
> : this might be the case.
>
> : Thanks folks!
>
> :
> : Steven Kehlet
> : kehlet@sumatra.ni.net       <--- Running FreeBSD 2.0-950322-SNAP
> : kehlet@netcom.com

Don't feel bad.  I have the same problem here.  I was going to post the
same message.  I tried even changing all of the permissions rwx (which
is dangerous I think), and still no luck...

I installed the new snap release by doing the following.  Can someone
please tell me if it was the correct thing to do?

1) Ftped the bindist to /usr/temp
2) Ftped the fixit floppy to a msdos directory
3) Used rawrite in DOS to make the Fixit floppy
4) Booted up FreeBSD, rename /kernel to /kernel-oldsnap
5) Copied the kernel from the fixit floppy to /
6) Copied the /etc/master.passwd and /etc/passwd files to another directory
7) cd /stand and used ./bininst to install the bindist from /usr/temp
8) Copy the old master.passwd and passwd back to /etc.
9) reboot
10) redo all the network stuff again.  (I also get some sort of can't
 bind error... Is that normal when the PPP link is not up yet?)

I have also recompiled the kernel for more PPP and SLIP devices, but
the problems are still there.

One other observation about the new snap release:  I noticed that the
boot messages say that I have two hard drives (which are both are IDE) that
can handle multi-block transfers... Uhmmm... I think only one of them
can do it.  The other one (the Maxtor 7120AT - 130MB) can not as far as
I can tell, and so I have seen a few interrupt timeout errors on it.

Thanks in advance for any help...  I like FreeBSD, so please keep up
the good work.