Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   370DLE motherboard

Was Subject: Intel 840 Chipset Discontinue

> I was told by several of my distributors that all motherboards based off
> of the Intel 840 chipset are being discontinued. That means the Supermicro
> PIIDM3 and PIIIDME, and any other 840 board.
>
> Supermicro has two new boards, 370DL3 and 370DLE. Identical in specs to
> the 840 boards, but using some kind of "ServerWork LE" chipset. However, I
> have also been hearing bad news about these boards as well.
>
> Has anyone worked with these boards? Supermicro SAYS that they work fine
> under Linux and Solaris. However, one of my distributors says thay they
> are extremely touchy when it comes to memory. Only Registered PC133 ECC
> memory will work.

Just tested on Supermicro 370DLE motherboard and had problem with dual CPU.

The system is configured with 1GB memory, Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter,
Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ NIC (fxp0), SysKonnect SK-9843 SX NIC (sk0).
Running 4.1-RELEASE.

The fxp0 is the primary network link, and the sk0 is a back-to-back connection
to the other 370DLE (both are identical).

With one CPU installed, the sk0 throughput is 900 Mbps.
With two CPU installed, the sk0 throughput drops to 837 Mbps (non_SMP kernel).
With two CPU installed + SMP kernel, the sk0 throughput drops to 770 Mbps.

Case 1 and 3 are expected, however, the case 2 is NOT expected (non_SMP kernel).

The dmesg shows some information about timer (8254) interrupt issue.

APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IOAPIC #0 intpin 2
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 and IOAPIC #0 intpin 0
Waiting 7 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

Both machines have the same message. I wonder if the 4.1 does not recognize
the board well, or there is something wrong with "ServerWork LE" chipset.

Nothing affects the computation at all. So, the problem seems at interrupt
somewhere when the second CPU is plugged in.

Does any one have seen such behave?

	-Jin