Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:38:44 -0800
From:      "Erik Stainsby" <stainsby@lets.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bind in a sandbox (was: Anticipated release date for 3.4)

----- Original Message -----
From: Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To: FreeBSD Questions (E-mail) <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 9:19 AM

> After reading that I was hoping someone could give me some assistance.  I
> would like to run bind in a sandbox.
>
> My problem is that I am on a dynamic IP and when I run it in a sandbox, it
> complains about not being able to bind to port 53 for the new address on
the
> interface.
> Does anyone know of a way around this?  (does bind need to listen to port
53
> on the outside interface)?
>
> Thanks,
> -Chris

Whether BIND needs to be run on the outside interface depends on whether you
are running a public nameserver for a registered domain or a private
nameserver for a private network.  As long as BIND can route its' queries to
the outside, it can be run on a reserved network address.  If you are trying
to serve the outside with info about your own domain however you will need
to bind to a public network "real" IP address.

If this latter is your scenario, and you are trying to do this on a dynamic
IP (which will
-=not=- satisfy InterNIC for a primary domain server ... ) somehow you will
need to discover the assigned address on that external device, reconfigure
the named file and start/restart named --  each time the IP on that device
changes.

Good luck,
Erik