Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:20:28 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On holy wars and a plea for peace

On Oct 23, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net> wrote:

> Haven't you twice in the last few days sent complaints about this to the
> list?  I think it's safe to say that most people don't mind ignoring
> threads they aren't interested in because they can expect them to peter
> out soon enough.

Normally, I'd agree. However, these threads are not petering out. In fact,
more threads are being spawned. Not only has it been a fair chunk of
traffic, it's also incredibly boring - I have several 24 hour news TV
stations, plus all the regular news slots on normal channels. I have a whole
Internet with information on what is going on all over it. I have newspapers
going over, and over, and over it all, constantly. I, personally, would
prefer freebsd-chat to be somewhere that I can "go" as a refuge.

> And "we"?  Who's that?  So far I've seen two posts that support that
> statement, but they're both from you, while at least ten people have
> participated in what I think you've inaccurately called a flame war.

Because threads about killing off threads are just as annoying. Personally,
I felt that the threads on religion and war should have been killed out a
long time ago. I stopped contributing to them when I felt it was being
dragged out into a flamewar.

> Unless you can get that changed, I think you're going to have to get out
> your John Lennon and imagine a mailing list without religion or politics
> or whatever it is that you do not want FreeBSD users to discuss here.

Nobody is saying it's against the list charter. We're just saying "enough
already". Don't you guys EVER want to have a break from this? You know, you
could go and discuss your opinions of religion with some of the finest
theologists on the planet. You could discuss your opinions on the war with
people who have actually met Osama Bin Laden. You could have really
interesting dialogue with people who are well informed, all over the
internet. Why the HELL do people want to discuss it with a load of BSD
hackers? It makes no sense, it's boring to lots of other people, and there
is no reason why you could not take the discussion off-list.

In fact, if you want to reply to this message, please do so off-list. I only
post onto list now to show that there really is support for the sentiment
shown in the previous post.

> Lennon can imagine a world without conflicting opinions, but the rest
> of us need to learn to live with it in a state of peace (and not by
> stifling all exchange of opinion or hauling each other into courts).

Nobody objects to that, just dragging it out on a list that is supposed to
be mildly entertaining (no, that's not in the charter, but it should be in
the spirit of the list), with a realtively small group of people who could
easily now take the discussion off-list helps this list or anybody on it.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for people to remember a few things - I once
knew a landlord of a pub who had three areas of conversation he would ban
drunk people from having discussions on - religion, politics and sport. He
did this, because he knew that if you started a discussion on any of them,
especially whilst drunk, you were going to end up in a huge row at the least
and most probably in a fight. It's a good rule of thumb. When you first meet
somebody, initiating a conversation in any of those three areas is a bad way
to start your relationship. In addition, you're going to be causing anxiety
and to some extent apathy towards your sentiments if you discuss those
topics outside of the right context. Just because the list charter says you
can discuss those topics, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to
do so.