Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 2009 01:30:06 GMT
From:      "Dewayne Geraghty" <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/138798: 8.0-BETA4 can't boot from USB flash drive [regression]

The following reply was made to PR usb/138798; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Dewayne Geraghty" <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To: <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>, <sweetnavelorange@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:19:02 +1100

 8.0Release and 8.0Stable as at 2-Dec-2009 experience the same problem on VIA
 (Intel-like) chipsets

 Kernel and loader reside on the active partition da0s2a, /boot/loader.conf
 contains vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/da0s1a"

 During booting, the root mountpoint isn't found and doesn't appear in the list
 of available GEOM devices to boot from. However if I enter
 Mountfrom> ufs:da0
 And repeat this five times, the da0s1a device appears in the list. Then
 entering
 ufs:/dev/da0s1a
 Performs a successful boot.

 I've used this method of booting, without the root mount failure :), since 6.0,
 and operates correctly on today's 7.2Stable.

 This is a barrier to upgrading, so I look forward to a solution.

 Thanks for the great work.
 Dewayne.