Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:11:16 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Weldon S Godfrey 3 <weldon@excelsus.com>
Cc:        Victor Grey <victor@customdynamic.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is this evidence of a break-in attempt?

A good idea, though you can always boot from a floppy
and bypass this. Or list the password file from the boot
loader and then crack the root password offline.

Fortunately, the intruders weren't anywhere near that
bright. The fact that they installed a *mouse*, of all
things, indicates that they were expecting to find an NT
or W2K server. They were likely COMPLETELY out of
their depth when they saw a UNIX login: prompt. So much
so that all they could do was try, in desperation, to log
in as "root" with no password. (Many NT and W2K admins
leave their boxes with null or easily guessable
administrative passwords, but UNIX admins know better.)

In short, they couldn't even get into a UNIX box to
which they probably had physical access for hours (sigh).

My guess is that they were Microsoft weenies -- probably
MCSEs, who are intentionally trained to be helpless
without a GUI and are never taught the underlying
principles behind what they're doing. (This keeps them
from being able to deal with anything non-Microsoft,
even if it's standards-based.)

Microsoft also takes great pains to ensure that the
dialogue boxes are complex and non-intuitive enough,
and change *just enough* between versions, that
recertification is required every few years. This
guarantees Microsoft an income stream of thousands of
dollars per year per MCSE.

--Brett