Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:54:43 -0500
From:      Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Sean Welch <Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs eMachines M6805 part II

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 06:40:47AM -0600, Sean Welch wrote:
> Chris, this is very interesting.  I've been eyeing this machine
> as a posible replacement for my Dell Inspiron 8000 (hate giving
> up the 1600x1200 res screen though...)
>=20

Yeah, the higher resolution is nice.

> A few questions.
>=20
> I looked at your verbose dmesg and wasn't able to tell if your
> sound works (there are a bunch of mss_probe messages) and it
> looks as though you might be having some issue with the
> firewire ethernet mode (sbp messages).  Could you clarify?
>=20

The sounds works fine for me, detected as:

  pcm0: <VIA VT8235> port 0x1000-0x10ff irq 9 at device 17.5 on pci0

  pcm0@pci0:17:5: class=3D0x040100 card=3D0x2032161f chip=3D0x30591106 rev=
=3D0x50 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   =3D 'VT8233/33A AC97 Enhanced Audio Controller'
    class    =3D multimedia
    subclass =3D audio

I assume those sbp errors are due to a lack of fireware hardware
on the bus.

> Also, do the sleep modes work for you?
>=20

Dunno, I have not tried yet...

> "project evil" may help you with the wireless chipset.
>=20

Looks promising.  I will have to try that.

--=20
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz