Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 2000 12:11:58 -0500
From:      Yo Mama <bsd@uncommonground.net>
To:        mflan@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing SSH on 4.0

mflan@mindspring.com wrote:

> when trying to install ssh or open ssh from the ports doing a make install it always errors out with an error code 1. I think it might have to do with the server performing Nat that my CPU is on. Am I
> out of luck or is it possible that ssh can be barried in one of these cd's in the four disk set ?
>
>     Thanks again in advance,
>
>        Mike F.

Mike,
Two things come to mind. First, if you are doing a make from the ports
collection, do you have USA_RESIDENT=YES in /etc/make.conf?  That must
be specified if you're making from the ports.
Also, you can do it manually by ftp'ing rsaref2.0 from
ftp://ftp.nstu.ru/pub/sources/security/crypt & ssh1.2.27 from
ftp://ftp.cs.hut.fi/pub/ssh into /usr/src (as root of course).
Unzip/untar the rsaref package first, cd to rsaref2.0, ./configure, make
install.  Do the same for ssh1.2.27.  I've got it on pretty good
authority that ssh1.2.27 is more stable than ssh2... (anybody else feel
free to refute that of course).
Good luck!

Anna