Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:21:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        chrismar@peanut.readington.com (Chris Martino)
Cc:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd Hard Drive

In a previous message, Chris Martino said:
> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.  I currently have a 2.1gb IDE hd as my
> Primary Master.  It is totally devoted to FreeBSD, and nothing else.  As
> my Primary Slave I have my CD-ROM.  I have a brand new 3.1 GB IDE drive
> sitting here that I'd like to put in my machine and use half of it for
> Win95, the other half I'd like to give to FreeBSD.  I plan on making this
> new HD the secondary master. So, once again...my question is.. How can I
> add this HD and be able to dual boot to both FreeBSD and Win95.

Well, what you need to do is install Win95 on the second disk, and then
install booteasy (or OSBS) on the primary master. Booteasy should give you
F5 for second disk. Then if you are going to boot off the FreeBSD slice
on the second disk (like for a different version), then you'll want
the boot manager on the second disk too.

However, if you installed FreeBSD on the first disk, in dangerously
dedicated mode and not compatible with other OS's, then you are out of
luck. There is no place for the boot manager to go.

The boot manager goes in the boot block of fdisk, ie the first 64 sectors
of the disk. So the answer to your next question is neither.

> I guess another question I might have is....does the boot manager load
> from a dos partition or is that configured to load from FreeBSD...I don't
> quite understand how this would work.
>
> I did read the FAQ, Handbook as well as check out the mail
> archives....nothing in either spot seems to be what I'm looking for.
>
> TIA,
> Chris
>
> --
>
> Chris Martino
> chrismar@readington.com
>
> On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Thomas Dean wrote:
>
> > This question is well documented in the handbook and the FAQ.

All opinions expressed are my own. If you don't like them there
is no one to blame but yourself.