Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:34:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kazuo Horikawa <horikawa@attbi.com>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, rdm@cfcl.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which man macros should I use?

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2002-04-16 13:59, Rich Morin wrote:
> > This may seem like a dumb question (OK; it IS a dumb question :-), but
> > I'm hoping that someone here can give me an authoritative answer:
> >
> >   Which troff macros should I use to format the FreeBSD 4.5 man pages?
> >
> > I've been using "groff -man", but I'm getting some errors.  I tried
> > "groff -mdoc", as suggested in mdoc(7), but that gives far MORE errors.
> > I tried "groff -mandoc", but it acts about like "groff -man".  Wazzup?
>
> If you want plain text output, the following two are equivalent:
>
> 	nroff -mandoc file.1 | more
>
> 	groff -mandoc -Tascii file.1 | more
>
> If you want PostScript output, or DVI, or something that is not plain
> text, the more general groff -T<format> command is what you need.

My recommendation for terminal output is:
	groff -te -mandoc -Tascii -mtty-char file.1 | more
and recommendation for non-terminal output is:
	groff -te -mandoc -mtty-char file.1 -T<format>

Manpages require tbl (e.g., phantasia(6)) want -t specified for groff and
manpages require eqn (e.g., groff_out(5) want -e specified for groff.
Some special characters  (e.g, sigma in groff_out(5)) to be printed on
terminal want -mtty-char specified for groff.
--
Kazuo Horikawa