Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:11:54 +0000
From:      Sergey "DoubleF" Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
To:        "radu.florin" <radu.florin@free.fr>
Cc:        "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
Subject:   Re: Disk geometry

--lWZF=.sAc:(OuUQC

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:02:31 +0200 "radu.florin" <radu.florin@free.fr> probably wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:20:42 -0500, Andrew L. Gould <algould@datawok.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 24 September 2003 03:09 pm, Sergey "DoubleF" Zaharchenko
> > wrote:

> >> #boot0cfg -o nopacket /dev/ad0BUGS

This line should, of course, read

#boot0cfg -o nopacket /dev/ad0

(it was a mispaste from the man)

> >> (replace ad0 with the harddrive). man 8 boot0cfg for details. It says:
> >>
> >> man>     Use of the `packet' option may cause `boot0' to fail, depending
> >> on
> >> the man>     nature of BIOS support.
> >>
> >> HTH

> I use for install purpose the floppies kern.flp, mfsroot.flp and
> drivers.flp (for my CD )
> During the install I did'nt met "security" floppie proposal to initiate in
> case of boot pb.
> As soon as install is finished, the only way to exit the install menu is
> to...reboot.
> So what floppy can I use to try the boot0cfg routine you propose ?

I always have one diskette for such special cases;). Try googling for a
"RIP diskette image", that's the one I am using. AFAIR it has boot0cfg;
if it doesn't, you can at least boot from it into a usable system (even
MC is there!), mount your / and /usr and run the boot0cfg binary which
is in /usr/sbin.

Example (FreeBSD is on ad0 on first slice):
#mount /dev/ad0s1a /mnt
#mount /dev/ad0s1e /mnt/usr
#/mnt/usr/boot0cfg -o nopacket /dev/ad0

HTH