Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:50:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        morpheus_69@hotmail.com (Jason Tan)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Research questions on FreeBSD 4.10

> Hi,
>

> I am currently doing a research on FreeBSD 4.10 Release System for a
> presentation to an institution of 400 students.
>
> I would like to enquire on several questions regarding the Operating System
> : -
>
> - Process Management / Model
> - Scheduling
>   * Is it preemptive ?
>   * Discuss the algorithm
> - Threading model
>   * User, kernel or hybrid?
> - File System
>   * Discuss more than one if applicable
> - Device management
> - Memory management
> - Programming language supported (and recommendation)
> - Networking support
> - Security model
>   * User security
>   * File System security
> - Compare the current version of the OS that you're researching with the
> previous and future version

This looks awfully like you are asking the list to do your class
assignment for you.

There are a number of books to read for these topics.
One set is the pair by Kirk McKusick called "The Design and Implementation
of the 4.4 DBS Operating System" which is a follow on to his earlier
"The Design and Implementation of the 4.3 BSD UNIX Operating System"

In Addition there are books such as FreeBSD Unleashed and the Complete FreeBSD
which give more specific useage information and such books as
as "DNS and BIND" from O'Reilly, Building Internet Firewalls from O'Reilly
that give more information on specific areas.

You can also study the FreeBSD Handbook that is available online
from the www.freebsd.org website for specifics and release notes
for each version that explain changes in each new version.

If that is not enough, then Google, Onlamp and a number of other online
publications have loads if articles on everything you mentioned.  You
have but to do some searches.

////jerry