Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:55:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gardner Bell <gbell72@rogers.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kendin KS8695

--- John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Core as in the processor core, but not the devices such as uart, i2c,
> gpio and other items...
>
> Do you mean PHY?  If you are really talking about transformers, there
> is no need to get datasheets for them as the isolation transformers
> are
> passive components...

Yes, but to be perfectly honest.  I thought I was going to need
documentation on the isolation transformers as well.  Pointyhat for
me..

> It looks like the KS8695 has only one port that can have an external
> PHY, the other four ports attached to the switch appear to have the
> PHY's onboard, and so will connect to isolation transformers...

The KS8695 does have an external PHY, but, according to a datasheet on
the technical differences between the KS8695 and KS8695X I'm reading
atm, this is now optional.  Performance wise, would it be ideal to
remove support, by disconnecting the pins for EMAC MII?

If so, it might be easier to port the KS8695X rather than the KS8695.
I think I would have to remain backwards compatible due to the
difference in voltages, and PHY enhancements though... Not sure on that
one.

Gardner