Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2017 14:44:39 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ngie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arch list <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reallocarray(3) and its uses

Hello;

On 3/10/2017 2:12 PM, Ngie Cooper wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 2017, at 09:00, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello;
>>
>> I wasn't a fan of bringing reallocarray(3) from OpenBSD, but since we have it, I thought I'd take a look at using it. It is rather easy to use so I went around opengrok'ing "realloc" in userland and crosschecking with OpenBSD and I got to this patch:
>>
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D9915
>>
>> Current reviewers are mute: I am unsure if they are just deeply impressed and don't want to speak up or if they are simply too busy (most likely the later). There are still more uses in some utilities but I wanted to see what people think of the general idea.
> Hi Pedro!
>
> I'll take a look at the reviews sometime after I get back tomorrow night.
I have abandoned the revision: it was too much for a sensible review and
I am looking at doing better adaptation of the surrounding code.

I will say many of the changes don't have any real effect as they have
no chance of overflowing but it does make the code easier to read.

> My general thoughts are: if it's an application of library that needs to be portable, don't use it. If not, use it.
>
> I think it's kind of the same class of API call as reallocf. reallocf is a good extension, but it's not 100% portable.

It is more in line with reallocf().
We should avoid using such non-standard functions and at first I was
contrary to their use, however, if they are in libc, it is as if they
were standard for us. I am not touching contrib/ with such changes, but
I see no reason not to use them in libc or the system libraries.

Pedro.