Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:46:28 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Brian Zhou" <brian_zhou@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh connection => network connection

> If thru a firewall I can remote login from inside-host to outside-host via
> socksified ssh, can I somehow turn that connection into a network
> connection? My goal is to be able to ping outside-host from inside-host.
> How? The inside-host is FreeBSD/Linux and outside-host is HP-UX.
>
> Options such as using socksified application are not feasible since the
> firewall only allow ssh traffic to a particular outside-host.

If you've got access to an outside machine you can use ppp(8) to
tunnel through the firewall using something like

 set device "!ssh myexternalmachine /usr/sbin/ppp -direct in"

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>