Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 08:15:10 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Build problems with -current + solution

OK.  Tried to do a make world last night with -current.  I have found a
problem and the solution.  I've seen this before in this list.  Since I
don't recall seeing the solution to this problem posted here, I'm
offering mine.

I have my sources in ~/FreeBSD/current/src.  I used to have my -stable
sources in ~/FreeBSD/stable/src.  When I went to do a make world I got
the following errors (truncated):
cc -O -c /other/imp/FreeBSD/current/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c
In file included from /other/imp/FreeBSD/current/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c:66:
/usr/include/ctype.h:121: warning: parameter names (without types) in
function declaration
/usr/include/ctype.h:122: parse error before `___tolower'
/usr/include/ctype.h:122: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

The problem, it turns out, is the (*&*#(^&*# symbolic links.  The wrong
ansi.h was begin grabbed.  /usr/include/machine is a symblic link to
/sys/i386/include.  /sys is a symbolic link to usr/src/sys.  My /usr/src
symbolic link still pointed to the -stable sources rather than the
-current sources.  Since machine.h is different and now defines
_BSD_CT_RUNE_T_ where before it didn't, the compilation failed.

Correting the symbolic link from /usr/src to point to
~/FreeBSD/current/src fixed this problem.  At least I'm able to do a
make lib-tools now, which is where it was failing before.

I really don't like the requirement that this symbolic link be correct,
but have no better ideas to offer.  So I'll just let people know this
may be a problem for them and to offer this solution to people that
might be upgrading from -current and who also don't (or can't) put their
sources directly in /usr/src.

Warner

P.S.  With my luck, this is a FAQ, since I didn't look at the FAQ before
building.