Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:53:14 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Richard Ward <mh@neonsky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *login

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 11:13:38AM -0500, Richard Ward wrote:
> I saw the login running with the -h option for long periods of times on
> numerous ip addresses, but not with "high risk" host names (dialup, aol,
> etc) None of which I can recognize as a regular user's host name, maybe
> someone who is trying to login with telnet/ssh unsuccessfully?

If you are seeing something like (from an ps axwww | fgrep login)

root   10261  0.0  1.0  1044  612  p0  Ss+  12:50PM   0:00.01 login -h pool52-tch-1.Sofia.0rbitel.net -p

then yes, this is a still unauthenticated incoming connection, spawned by
either telnetd or sshd (if compiled with the --with-login option to finish
incoming connections with login(1)).  This is truly normal, and may only
be worked around by 1. using tcp-wrappers, or 2. using a firewall :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
I had to translate this sentence into English because I could not read the original Sanskrit.