Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:25:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Stream_d benchmark... Wow, there really are differences in hardware

> Soeren Schmidt (sos@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, Then I should be proud of my noname system (p6/200/128MB 72pEDO):
> >
> > Function      Rate (MB/s)   RMS time     Min time     Max time
> > Copy:         117.0286       0.2758       0.2734       0.2812
> :
> > Triad:        125.3878       0.3917       0.3828       0.4219
> >
> > So what ??
>
> Like all benchmarks, there is the question of "pride".  However,
> computer performance is also a major problem/interest, and, stream
> is particularly informative for a "toy benchmark".   Your numbers
> seem very high for a Natoma board - what type of EDO are you using
> and what are your BIOS settings?  Exactly what kind of "noname" board
> is it?  If these numbers are correct, I want one.  Have you run the
> c't ctcm benchmark on it also?  That gives a nice profile of the
> different memory bandwidth numbers from L1 cache, L2 cache, and
> main memory.   [Note also, stream sometimes doesn't get the clock
> HZ set properly.  Are you sure it is correct with these numbers?]
> [Maybe you have the 45ns EDO?  What are your leadoff timings?]
> I'm impressed, anyway.  I want to know more.  In particular, I might
> be better off with one of your "noname" configurations than a 333 MHz
> P - II for driving some fast network interfaces.  Your numbers look
> more like one of the specially-built and tweaked expensive "server"
> Orion boards.

Well, "noname" was more in the sort that its not a "brand name" machine,
but one build out of garden varity parts.

It's a TYAN s1662D dual PPro board with dual P6/200/256K, memory is 4
stock 32Mb 72pin 60Ns EDO RAM. Timing is set as std for the 4.0E BIOS
with 60Ns memory timing, disks are two Maxtor DiamondMax 4.3G in DMA mode.
I havn't run the CT benchmark, I'd have to find a DOS disk somewhere
to do that. On the whole TYAN is know to have a much more agressive
memory timing than say ASUS, and the board is pretty picky about RAM
quality (I use Hyundai here).

Worldstone (a WHOLE world with -j9 -O -pipe and src & obj async on different
disks) on this machine is ~1h10min dependend on how much happens in between
(it runs X during the make as I have no text console :) ).