Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2017 12:39:15 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   nvidia driver

I would like to clarify a couple of things about x11/nvidia-driver, because they
don't seem to be spelled out in the package documentation (pkg-message, etc).

First, it seems that the driver requires that syscons (device sc) is compiled
into the kernel.  Even if vt is actually used sc still must be present, because
otherwise the module would fail to load:
> link_elf_obj: symbol sc_get_softc undefined

Also, from my experiments it seems that switching between X and text consoles
works only with syscons.  If vt is used then there is a garbage on the screen
after switching to a text console.
Is this true?

Finally, it seems that syscons should not use any VESA ("graphic") modes.
On my system the screen becomes garbled and neither X nor text consoles are
usable if I enabled any VESA mode via device hints.

It would be nice to describe these things in pkg-message.

Thanks!

--
Andriy Gapon