Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:24:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is tcl in base distribution

On 17-Dec-97 Tom wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Steve Kargl wrote:
>
>> I tried to build tkrat from the ports-current collection, and to
>> my amazement the make process tried to install the tcl80 port.  tcl80
>> is a duplicate of tcl installed by a make world.  So,
>>
>> (1) Why is tcl in the base distribution if it is not used?
>
>  tcl is not part of the 2.2 branch, but seems to be part of the 3.0
>branch (is that the final word?).

It is not part of the 2.2 branch because Peter had the good sense to
remove it.  Check the CVS logs.

1.2.2.1 Thu Aug 21 4:07:21 1997 by peter
CVS Tags: RELENG_2_2_5_RELEASE; Branch: RELENG_2_2
Diffs to 1.2 ; Diffs to 1.3
FILE REMOVED

Remove tcl since tcl7.5 is not used in 2.2, there is a binary
compatable port (ie: installing the port will enable a program
linked against libtcl75.so.* from the base to run), and this makes
2.2 compatable with -current from a ports perspective.

Reviewed by: core

As far as I can tell, only /usr/sbin/addgroup (a 4kbyte script) uses
tcl in the base distribution.  tcl does not belong in the base distribution
unless you enjoy bloat.

To compound the problem, if you install some (any?) of the ports that use
tcl, then you will have at least 2 copies it tcl in /usr.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html