Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 20:20:40 -0400
From:      Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape backup - Travan on 2.2.2?

On Sunday, Andymac responded:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Chuck wrote:
> > 2. Are Travan tapes supported in any way?

> Depending on your version, you should be able to get the SCSI Travan
> drives to work satisfactorily.  I have an HP Colorado T4000s running on a
> 2.1.0 system, after some hackery in the st driver. 2.2.x systems should
> handle these beasts as installed.

I've been scouting some mfrs', and some dealers' web pages, and your
message gives me heart.  I *think* the Seagate TR-4 looks good, and I
think I can get one for $400.  But of course the same drive on a floppy
controller would cost $200.  Why should anything SCSI cost so much more?

> If you get one of the HP drives, watch the probe messages and if the
> firmware revision on the drive is <1.06, pay a visit to http://www.hp.com
> and get the latest flashable firmware (v1.07 when I looked a couple of
> weeks back).  You will need to be able to run up DOS with the ASPI driver
> for your SCSI card to flash the upgraded firmware (from a floppy is fine).

> Hope this helps.

> --
> Andrew I MacIntyre                     "These thoughts are mine alone..."
> E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
>         andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
> Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia

Thanks!  And thanks to those others who've helped me out of my tape
pickle.  I think I lost my responses to their messages (I'm on a dial-in
PPP, and if I forget to dial in first, sendmail often punts the msg.
after a few days).

        Chuck Bacon -- crtb@capecod.net
                ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY