Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:58:15 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <mtaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
To:        "'valkyrie@dreamwvr.com'" <valkyrie@dreamwvr.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: frame enc and frame relay

Yes FreeBSD does support Frame relay... and seems to do
so quite well so far ...

(I'm an 'expert' with 5 days of real connect time! still in the system
final configuration stages wrt DNS etc ;-)

I am using a WANic 405 PCI card with an X21 interface to the telco terminal
unit

FreeBSD has been recompiled with

options NETGRAPH
options NETGRAPH_FRAME_RELAY
options NETGRAPH_LMI
options NETGRAPH_RFC1490
options NETGRAPH_IFACE
options NETGRAPH_SOCKET

The  system setup is as follows

-----------------8< cut from other doco ---------
- select Management Protocol
	ITU-T (CCITT) Q933 Annex A		no
	ANSI T1.617 Annex D				yes  (Telstra
default)
	LMI (FRF Doc#001-208966)		no
- select physical interface
	X.21bis/V35							no
	X.21
yes
	G.704
no

- Telstra assignments
	xxx.yyy.zzz.0/26 	network
	DLCI 16			Internet link (Telstra 'Big Pond')

- Hardware card WANic 405 with X21 interface
	uses sr(4) driver - kernel compiled with NETGRAPH

- hardware setup

      ng0 ip                         fxp0 ip
    xxx.yyy.zzz.1       SPYDER      10.1.2.30
                     +----------+
                     |          |
        +---+        |-+-+    +-|
  frame | N |  X21   |s|n|    |f|  100BaseT
 =======| T |========|r|g|    |x|~~~~~~~~~~~~
  relay | U |        |0|0|    |p|
        +---+        |-+-+    |0|
                     |        +-|
                     |          |
                     |          |
                     |          |
                     |          |
                     +----------+

Netgraph setup for Internet access
                                   [       ]
                                   [  lmi  ](annexD) --------+
                                   [       ]                 |

[  sr0  ]                          [             ](dlci0) ---+
[ phys  ](rawdata) --- (downstream)[ frame_relay ]
[       ]                          [             ](dlci16)--+

  |                {         ]                 [  ng0  ]
  +--- (downstream)[ rcf1490 ](inet) --- (inet)[ iface ] xxx.yyy.zzz.1
                   [         ]                 [       ]

then a netgraph chain setup during the boot process
with the following

(written in the sequence that rc.network will process them)

=============== network portions of rc.conf ==========================
#
# set up my hostname
#
hostname="spyder.bytecraft.au.com"
#
# network setup
#
network_interfaces="lo0 ng0 fxp0"
#
# (NB more needed in man pages re start_if.* files)
#
# start_if.ng0 file is run here automagically
#
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.1.2.30 netmask 255.255.0.0"
ifconfig_ng0="inet xxx.yyy.zzz.1 TELSTRA-GATEWAY"
#
# firewall
#
ipfw_enable="YES"
ipfw_flags="/etc/firewall/rules"
#
# NAT setup here
#
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interfaces="ng0"
#
# static routes
#
# route(8)
#     A destination of default is a synonym for -net 0.0.0.0, which is the
de-
#     fault route.
#
#     If the destination is directly reachable via an interface requiring no
#     intermediary system to act as a gateway, the -interface modifier
should
#     be specified; the gateway given is the address of this host on the
common
#     network, indicating the interface to be used for transmission.  Alter-
#     nately, if the interface is point to point the name of the interface
it-
#     self may be given, in which case the route remains valid even if the
lo-
#     cal or remote addresses change.
#
static_routes="ng0"
# default route set to point out the frame relay link to big pond
route_ng0="-net 0.0.0.0 -interface ng0"
#
# gateway enable
#
gateway_enable="YES"
#
# ----- end of netpass 1
#
# named enable
#
named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-u bind -g bind /etc/namedb/sandbox/named.conf"
#
# ----- end of netpass 2
#
# sshd
#
sshd_enable="YES"
#
# ----- end of netpass 3
#
# inetd flags
#
inetd_flags=""

============= end of network part of rc.conf ========================

This script which gets called during the boot process establishes the frame
relay iinterface as ng0

the start_if.ng0 script
( basically a modified copy of the frame relay example file in
/usr/share/examples/netgraph )

================ start_if.ng0 =============================
#!/bin/sh
# script to set up a frame relay link on the sr card.
# The dlci used is selected below. The default is 16

# WANic 405
CARD=sync_sr0
DLCI=16

# create a frame_relay type node and attach it to the sync port.
ngctl mkpeer ${CARD}: frame_relay rawdata downstream

# Attach the dlci output of the (de)multiplexor to a new
# Link management protocol node using ANSI AnnexD
ngctl mkpeer ${CARD}:rawdata lmi dlci0 annexD

# Attach the DLCI(channel) the Telco has assigned you to
# a node to hadle whatever protocol encapsulation your peer
# is using. In this case rfc1490 encapsulation.
ngctl mkpeer ${CARD}:rawdata rfc1490 dlci${DLCI} downstream

# Attach the ip (inet) protocol output of the protocol mux to the ip (inet)
# input of a netgraph "interface" node (ifconfig should show it as "ng0").
ngctl mkpeer ${CARD}:rawdata.dlci${DLCI} iface inet inet