Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:14:50 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM bogon? Was: Re: NIS breakage

>Is there general consensus that users will understand the need
>to enter '0x' in front of hex values?

Some won't, but most cases should start with 0xMN... with the cursor
initially on the M (not invisible and at the end like now), so it would
takes extra keystrokes to not use 0x.

>strtoul() in (the old) userconfig is somewhat broken I think; is it legal
>to say :
>
>	unsigned long acc;
>	acc = -acc;

Perfectly legal.  It has completely specified behaviour for all values of
`acc', which is more than can be said for `signed long acc'.  strtoul.c
should still be essentially the same as the library version.

>> Del is fairly useless as an editing key (unless

>It has to be to cover all the possible misconfigurations of serial
>terminals.  Of the collection I tested with, I met some that could
>be convinced to emit either BS or DEL, some had keys for both, and
>one unit had a "<-" key which emitted DEL only.

Yes, it isn't great for deleting devices either.

Bruce