Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 13:06:28 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co, imp@village.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Niklas Hallqvist: archivers/hpack.non-usa.only

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * I disagree with this (proposed) way of patching: as clearly stated on "the
>  * porting guidelines", there is a common way to identify BSD4.4, if there are
>  * differences, then we should use the specific *BSD flag, but it doesn't seem
>  * logical to treat everyone as a special case of FreeBSD. Changes in the
>  * diffs will have to be made anyway, but the general idea is that patches
>  * should disappear after we feedback the diffs to the author of the
>  * program. I wouldn't like to define FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD because
>  * the port was submitted by someone in another BSD camp.
>
> I agree with this in principle.  If it can be differentiated by the
> BSD macro, it should be used instead of __FreeBSD__ and/or
> __OpenBSD__.

The main problem with it is that I can't know what BSD macro covers, but
always know what FreeBSD macro covers and can check it in any time
or modify when something changed in the system.
For BSD macro I must check NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSDI? too and I simple
don't want to do it.

F.e. gets->fgets changes: I know that FreeBSD dislike gets currently,
but I am not shure and should constantly check OpenBSD and NetBSD too, they
can change this policy in any time.

Offtopic:

I think FreeBSD can change it too, gets() is POSIX function and
must not have such effect as printing external messages, it definitely
breaks POSIX tests. I suggest to leave linking stage warning, but
remove runtime warning.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>