Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 17:22:57 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Joe Halpin <jhalpin@nortel.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config question

Joe Halpin wrote:

> I've just gotten my pnp soundcard to work with 2.2.6, but I don't know
> why.
>
> "The Complete FreeBSD" didn't say anything about how to configure the
> pcm0 and pnp0 devices, so I just took the lines straight from
> LINT. Nothing worked like that.
>
> After browsing the list archives here I noticed a few people saying
> that they had configured it to use irq 5, and set the flags to 0x15
> (if I remember right). When I tried that the soundcard and mixer
> started working.
>
> I'd like to understand why that change made the difference. For
> example, is irq 5 just what pcm0 needs to use, or does it have to be
> set to whatever the sound card uses, or ... ?

	I suspect that you had an IRQ conflict. Furthermore given that it's a
soundcard I suspect that you had it on IRQ 7 previously and it was
conflicting with your printer. If that doesn't help you, feel free to
write back. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet