Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:11:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Lynx test / 2nd attempt

On 06-Dec-00 Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:48:53AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:37:13AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>> > where it left off without docs).  That leads me to wonder, however,
>> > if we ever have any plans of fixing this:
>> >
>> > ===> en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/committers-guide
>> > /usr/local/bin/jade -ioutput.html -ioutput.html.images -V nochunks  -c
>>                 ^^^^^^
>> The build (at least on Alpha) needs to switch to openjade.
>>
>> > Something is really hosed with jade on the alpha.
>>
>> And will be so forever. :-(  Jade development has been stopped.  But
>> Open Jade doesn't have as rich foreign language support.  (who knows why
>> since they started with the Jade source....)
>
> $0.02 from someone who knows zilch about jade: is it really necessary to
> have all these different formatters/layout tools etc etc etc to format
> our docs?

Yes.  The docs are written in an abstract SGML markup, so that you don't have
to make formatting decisions at the time you are writing docs.  You then run
the docs along with stylesheets through jade and out comes either html or tex.
You can then feed the tex off to other programs to get PostScript, PDF,
PalmPilot, etc.