Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:27:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel stack contents visible from userland

:
:  Is there any security concern with a portion of the kernel's stack being
:visible from userland? The reason I ask is that while investigating
:another issue, I noticed that stat family of calls (and probably others)
:leave kernel stack contents into userland via spare struct stat fields (I
:imagine other structures have similar behavior with regards to the padding
:between fiels for alignment).
:
:  The attached (simple) patch, applied in /sys/kern fixes it for stat and
:family. That is, assuming that this is something that needs fixing :)
:
:--
:Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Richmond, VA

    Since the kernel stack is per-process, I don't think there is any
    security concern.  But you've definitely uncovered an undesired
    trait so I think your patch is a good one.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Director of Technical Services, ALC Communications  http://www.alcnet.com/
:Maintainer, BSD Driver Database       http://www.posi.net/freebsd/drivers/
:Coordinator, Team FreeBSD        http://www.posi.net/freebsd/Team-FreeBSD/
:
:--- kern_descrip.c.orig	Mon Nov 15 22:11:57 1999
:+++ kern_descrip.c	Mon Nov 15 22:27:43 1999
:@@ -548,9 +548,11 @@
: 		panic("ofstat");
: 		/*NOTREACHED*/
: 	}