Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:40:51 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: options for centralized 'passwd' database for a diskless lab ?

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> as per the subjects, what options do i have to set a centralized
> 'passwd' database for a lab with FreeBSD diskless machines ?
>
> In the past (4.x times) i used YP/NIS which did the job but was
> highly insecure (all traffic unencrypted) and also a bit of a pain to configure.
> It was convenient though because it let users change their
> password and other info just using the passwd command.

Yes.  Sun solved the issue of plaintext traffic via SecureRPC, which adds
encryption to the low-level protocol that YP/NIS talks over.  I don't believe
FreeBSD supports SecureRPC, but I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

> I have been browsing around a bit, and i see that pam_* (tried pam_radius)
> can do for the authentication part but not for the other info;
> nss_* seems to be a better suit but the only thing i see is nss_ldap
> and i am not familiar with the latter.
>
> So any suggestions or pointers to pages describing what to do ?

Most people seem to end up with LDAP, and spend a fair amount of time going
through the O'Reilly book (which is worth a read) and looking at various schemas
to figure out how to organize their info.  Even so, LDAP is kinda painful to setup.

You might take a look at how Samba integrates with LDAP, since that also plays
nice with Windows and Mac clients.  If you install Webmin, you can use a
point-n-click interface which is easier than gaining a low-level understanding
of how the pieces work together.  Webmin will deal with syncronizing the Samba
users and actual FreeBSD user accounts if you change information; otherwise you
end up having to configure a script for smbpasswd, or you end up having users
run both passwd and smbpasswd.

--
-Chuck