Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:21:35 -0700
From:      "Jay Rossiter" <jrossiter@symantec.com>
To:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Severe I/O Problems

dmesg:
atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 31=
.1
on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 38146MB <Maxtor 5T040H4> [77504/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100
acd0: DVD-ROM <SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612> at ata1-master using PIO4

sysctl:
hw.ata.ata_dma: 1
hw.ata.wc: 0
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0
hw.atamodes: dma,---,pio,---,

mount:
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s1d on /home (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s1h on /usr/ports (ufs, asynchronous, local)
/dev/ad0s1g on /usr/src (ufs, asynchronous, local)
/dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, local)

All of the data work for this project is taking place on /home

The writecache flag appeared as though it was going to help significant=
ly,
however the total run took about five hours longer than previous.  (~21=

hours)

Start:  Fri Oct 12 15:16:35 PDT 2001
Stop:  Sat Oct 13 12:28:40 PDT 2001

                                                                       =
                                                                       =
=20
                    Mikko                                              =
                                                                       =
=20
                    Tyolajarvi           To:     jrossiter@symantec.com=
                                                                       =
=20
                    <mikko@dynas.s       cc:     hackers@freebsd.org   =
                                                                       =
=20
                    e>                   Subject:     Re: Severe I/O Pr=
oblems                                                                 =
=20
                                                                       =
                                                                       =
=20
                    10/12/2001                                         =
                                                                       =
=20
                    05:25 PM                                           =
                                                                       =
=20
                                                                       =
                                                                       =
=20
                                                                       =
                                                                       =
=20

In local.freebsd.hackers you write:

>There appear to be a lot of changes that went into the filesystem and =
I/O
>code between 4.3 and 4.4.  A little over a week ago I upgraded my 4.3 =
box
>to 4.4-STABLE and immediately I started having I/O slowdown.  I do
>development and QA on a program that is very I/O bound, but the change=
>between 4.3 and 4.4 aren't small enough that I can ignore them.

>A few statistics:

>BSD, P4 1.4GHz, ATA100 drives
>- Normal test run on 4.3 was taking ~3 hours.
>- Normal test run on 4.4 is taking 15-16 hours.

>P3-800, ATA66 drives, SuSE Linux 7.1:
>- Normal test run takes ~4.5 hours.

>UltraSparc 10, Solaris 8, ATA66 drives:
>- Normal test run takes ~6 hours.

>As you can see, this jump was just phenomenal.

Yup, sure looks bad.  Post output from at least:

 % dmesg | grep ata
 % sysctl -a | grep ata
 % mount | grep ufs

to give people something more to go on.