Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   "wdunwedge failed" on ASUS motherboards (possible fix?)

I've seen in the list that green stuff can screw things up, and that
Western Digital drives have a bug that makes it worse...  In my case green
was turned off and I don't have WD drives but I was still getting the
errors.  This was on a 2.5 system; I upgraded it to 2.5.1 in the hopes
that the problem would go away [it didn't... :-(]

I went into the BIOS to verify all the green stuff was off, and I noticed
a parameter that set the onboard IDE controller into "disabled",
"standard", "fast", and "fastest" modes.  Mine was set to "fastest".  I
reset it to "standard" and POOF - we've been running over a week now with
absolutely no errors (we were having daily crashes...)  I didn't try
"fast"; this is a low volume machine with few [easily annoyed] users so I
just took the safe route... :-)

Others having the wdunwedge problem with ASUS mother boards might want to
try this.

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |