Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 12:33:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: will this partitioning scheme work?

Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> 	I've just upgraded to 2.0.5-ALPHA. Great job everyone! Very
> impressive imporvements.

   [ ... ]

> 	Basically, I repeatedly re-installed without success until I
> finally broke down and fell back to my original translated geometry
> partitioning. Is there some reason why I cannot get things to go with the
> untranslated geometries?

I had similar experiences.  Since I believe BIOS *always* uses the
translated geometry when booting (at least, the NCR 810 BIOS seems
to), I discovered that I had to reset the geometry (in the Partition
menu) to what the SCSI controller's BIOS was going to translate to
or I would get the dreaded ``Missing Operating System'' response
on boot.

For drive-capacity <= 1GB I had success with the usual:

CYLS    = capacity-in-MB
HEADS   = 64
SECTORS = 32

For 1GB < drive-capacity <= 2GB I had success with:

CYLS    = capacity-in-MB/2
HEADS   = 128
SECTORS = 32

--