Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 15:51:04 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        wayne@msen.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: File system gets too fragmented ???

"Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@msen.com> wrote:
>Long ago, back when disks were small, slow and expensive, someone
>wrote a program that properly defragged a Unix filesystem.

If it was that long ago, chances are it is pre-FFS - the System 5
File System and its predecessors.  I remember using a Motorola
SysVR3 system that included a disk de-fragmenting tool.

Re-writing a disk in-place will always be slow because you're mostly
doing small I/O's at random places on the platter.

dump/newfs/restore is the safest way to defragment a disk.  It's
probably faster than an in-place de-fragmenter as well.

Peter