Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:55:57 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Jamie Lawrence <jal@thirdage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive geometry for IBM Ultrastar

Jamie Lawrence wrote:
> This isn't strictly on charter, so I hope people don't mind.
>
> I bought 2 IBM drives, one the DRVS-18V and the other the DRVS-9V,
> 18 and 9 gig 10,000 RPM drives. They didn't come with geometry info,
> and I can't find it anywhere. I can find that there are 7065 cylinders,
> and 10 platters, 20 heads on the 18G disk, and 5/10 on the 9. The
> sector size is configurable, 512-732 bytes.
>
> What I can't find it the number of tracks, or how many sectors per
> track (assuming, say, 512 byte sectors).
>
> Does anyone know a way to derive this information? Or does anyone
> have these drives and know? I broke down and called IBM tech support,
> and they don't seem to know either, and just promised a call back which
> never came.

Tracks is another word for cylinders.  There's a simple math formula
you can use:

cylinders * heads * sectors/track * sector size = capacity

Since you know four of the five, you can solve for the unknown by
rearranging the formula:

capacity / (cyls * heads * sector size) = sectors/track

Remember to use commercial GB (10^9) instead of true GB (1024^3).  I'm
wondering why you need to figure out this information, your SCSI HBA
is supposed to figure it all out for you.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world