Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:38:04 +1200
From:      William James Irwin <wji@ihug.co.nz>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ATAPI CD-Burning

Hi All

I've just succesfully burnt my first CD (A backup of
/usr/ports/distfiles) under freebsd!

I used to use cdrecord with my HP8100 under linux however
using it under freebsd took some detective work.

I spent a few hours chasing up info on the net in order
to get it right, however I have a few questions.
It seems as though using cdrecord for atapi devices isn't
there yet, since there is no atapi-scsi emulation.

So I used wormcontrol. I found an
earlier e-mail in the list which detailed the use of
/dev/acd0c and racd0c for use with the cd-r instead of
/dev/wcd0c. I set up the links in /dev including /rworm0
pointing to ascd0c. Used wormcontrol and everything worked.
I take it that the 'worm' driver is only needed for SCSI
devices? Since you can write directly to acd.

Can I write faster than double speed using wormcontrol?

Now what I want to know is what is the difference between
acd and wcd. I've just checked my kernel config file and
I see that acd0 is an IDE CDROM driver (CDR as well?).
Is wcd part of the wdc driver?

The man pages for worm(4) says it is out of date and that
the new scsi/CAM stuff should be used instead, which
immediately cuts me out. So is it worm that is out of date
and NOT wormcontrol, which is used with the acd0 driver
instead?

Okay last question, In my kernel config file there is an
option ATAPI, with the comment 'ATAPI support for IDE'
I thought ATAPI was a synonym for IDE, I suppose I'm wrong?

--
William James Irwin
wji@ihug.co.nz