Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:52:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Allan Stokes <astokes@direct.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wanted: driver for Xircom PE3 (pocket ethernet III parallel port adaptor)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Allan Stokes wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Today I installed FreeBSD on a monochrome 486 with no PCMCIA slots--and so
> far I'm quite impressed with the ease of use.
>
> There are two small problems.
>
> One is that I've lost all my power-saving hot keys (and I especially miss
> the one that shuts down the noisy hard drive).  Is there any utility that
> would restore my power-management functionality.  My notebook is based on a
> TI 3000 design.

Probably not -- FreeBSD runs over lots of BIOS functionality and you
don't have a Windows helper driver.

FreeBSD does try to keep the disk from spinning down since it confuses the
IDE controller driver.

> I'd also like to be able to network this machine to my local NT server.  I
> have a PE3 parallel port ethernet adaptor that should do the trick.  I've
> successfully used it under an operating system too disgusting to name.

The Xircom Pocket Ethernet adapters are not supported, and in general
Xircom gear is not supported since they refuse to give specs. Does this
book have PCCARD slots?