Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:21:58 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X-display from laptop to desk

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 06:11:02PM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Using 4.0 snap 06/24
>
> I have this installed on a Toshiba 4005CDS.  I have some of the X
> libraries etc but do not have X set up.

If I was you I'd install X completely and set up XDMCP. Comment out the
line with DisplayManager.requestPort in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config,
and start xdm.

Then you can start a full X login session in a window to your laptop with
Xnest (if not installed, see
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/<version>/binaries/FreeBSD-3.x/Xnest.tgz):

Xnest :1 -query <hostname of lappy>

Change :1 to a unique number to have several sessions. You may want to
firewall access to your XDMCP port, though. :)

Cheers.

--
Anders.