Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2012 00:18:23 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: WRITE_FPDMA_QUEUED CAM status: ATA Status Error

Hi.

On 18.12.2012 00:07, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Is there a way to tell / narrow down if an issue with errors like below
> are due to a bad cable or bad port multiplier ?  The disks in a
> particular cage are throwing errors like these below.  (RELENG9 from today)

All the controller, the port multiplier and the disks are firmware-
based devices. All of them may have firmware problems, that is not
possible to diagnose from outside. When controller is talking to disk,
multiplier is transparent, so it may be impossible to say where exactly
problem happen. Speaking about cables and physical links, the only kind
of information I can imagine to check physical link is counters
represented below:

> SATA Phy Event Counters (GP Log 0x11)
> ID      Size     Value  Description
> 0x0001  2            1  Command failed due to ICRC error
> 0x0002  2            1  R_ERR response for data FIS
> 0x0003  2            0  R_ERR response for device-to-host data FIS
> 0x0004  2            1  R_ERR response for host-to-device data FIS
> 0x0005  2            0  R_ERR response for non-data FIS
> 0x0006  2            0  R_ERR response for device-to-host non-data FIS
> 0x0007  2            0  R_ERR response for host-to-device non-data FIS
> 0x000a  2            0  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a COMRESET
> 0x000b  2            1  CRC errors within host-to-device FIS
> 0x8000  4         7720  Vendor specific

They may be reported by disks. IIRC they may also be reported by port
multiplier, but I've never tried to access them and haven't seen the
existing tools for it, except via doing bin-banging with camcontrol.
Whether the controller can report something alike, I don't remember.

--
Alexander Motin