Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 00:18:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Gil Kloepfer Jr." <gil@limbic.ssdl.com>
To:        peter@freefall.freebsd.org (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        peter@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org, eric@reference.com, sendmail@sendmail.org
Subject:   Re: misc/922

I got two messages on this problem.  I now know what the code in mail.local
does, and as Eric points out, my fix breaks the intent of the code:

| To: "Gil Kloepfer Jr." <gil@limbic.ssdl.com>
| From: Eric Allman <eric@sendmail.org>
| Subject: Re: Bad From line handling in mail.local (fwd)
| Date: Sat, 30 Dec 1995 09:37:48 -0800
|
| The point of this is to minimize the amount of body munging that goes
| on.  I believe elm is broken, not mail.local.
|
| eric

And as Peter stated, here is why elm is broken:

> This is actually intended behavior...
>
> The end-of-message marker is a blank line followed by "^From "..
> ie:
> "\n\nFrom "
>
> So, if you have a message like this: (indented for example)
>
>   foo bar baz
>   From this I can see blah..
>
> It should not be escaped because there is not a blank line.

I found the bug in elm and will report it there.  In case any of you are
interested, it's in newmbox.c and what needs to be done is to check for
a blank line before "From " in order to determine that it is entering
a new mail header (except, of course, on the first message).  I have a
fix, but I will let it go through the normal channels unless anyone wants
my fix.

My apologies about the mail.local bug scare.  It was a fix, just not the
right one!! :)   Thanks again for your quick feedback!  Happy New Year!

Gil.