Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 97 09:41:23 +0200
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple FreeBSD Systems on a Single Disk

For what its worth, I have a single SCSI disk to boot multiple FreeBSD
versions, 3.0-current on this first slice, 2.2 on the second.

I boot the first slice's FreeBSD as usual with
  sd(0,a)kernel
You don't need a specially configured kernel for this
version/partition.

The second one is booted like this
  sd(0,s2a)/kernel-2.2 -r

This FreeBSD version has a kernel configured with "root on sd0s2a" as
"/kernel-2.2" on partition sd0s2a AND on the same name on sd0a with is
the same as sd0s1a for me. The kernel is always loaded from
sd0a/sd0s1a, but you need a copy of it in sd0s2a as well for userland
programs that need to read to read the kernel image. You need "-r" to
use a root partition that is not the one the booted kernel lives in.

booteasy will ask you for a slice to boot from, it doesn't matter what
you choose, since kernels are loaded from the first BSD slice in any
case.

Hope this helps, let me know if not.

I missed the original posting and don't have the CC: line, could
someone please forward this to whoever had the original problem?
Thanks.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%% Martin_Cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org %%%%%%%%%%%