Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2015 12:09:05 +0200
From:      "TJ Lee" <tjmaillists@gmx.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trying to understand kernel trap code

Hi,

I just started looking at FreeBSD kernel code in more detail and want to understand the low-level entry points into the kernel on a x86-64 CPU. What I'd like to know is precisely what happens when I execute a "syscall" instruction in user-land. More specifically, what instruction in what assembly source file is RIP/CS loaded with on executing syscall? Also where in the source code do we load the MSRs with these values?

- tj