Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:18:44 GMT
From:      Stefan Lasiewski <slasiewski@lbl.gov>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/165250: "5.5.4.3 Upgrading Ports using Portmanager" should be clearer about flags

>Number:         165250
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       "5.5.4.3 Upgrading Ports using Portmanager" should be clearer about flags
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD host.example.gov 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 02:41:51 UTC 2011     root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

The documentation at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html#PORTMANAGER says the following:

    "All the installed ports can be upgraded using this simple command:

        # portmanager -u

    You can add the -ui flag to get asked for confirmation of every step Portmanager will perform."

This documentation is a bit vague and seems to be implying that I can try `portmanager -ui`. However, that returns an error:

    # portmanager -ui
    rParseCommandLine 0.4.1_9 error: /usr/ports/-ui is not a valid port directory
    rParseCommandLine 0.4.1_9 info:either you have used an invalid command line switch as the first option or you are trying to update a non existent port path, see man portmanager(1)
    MGPMrCommandLine 0.4.1_9 error: rParseCommandLine returned errorCode 1

The correct flags are `portmanager -u -ui`:

    # portmanager -u -ui
    portmanager 0.4.1_9: Collecting installed port data

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Can you please make the documentation clearly state that the proper flags should be `-u -ui` and not `-ui`.

Perhaps the following is more clear:

Old:

"You can add the -ui flag to get asked for confirmation of every step Portmanager will perform."

New:

"You can add the -ui ('portmanager -u -ui')flag to get asked for confirmation of every step Portmanager will perform."