Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 01:34:37 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chris@bb.cc.wa.us (Chris Coleman)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup Drive Not working.

As Chris Coleman wrote:

> I am still under warranty, so I am thinking of sending it back and getting
> a new Tape Drive.  I have the Adaptec 2910 scsi card for it.  Tell me
> whether i should send this back also.

The 2910 card is a Future Domain controller, without a BIOS.  Nothing
much to worry about, certainly a < $50 piece.  Unsupported in FreeBSD
by now, though somebody wrote in Usenet (or on this list?) that he's
going to start porting a driver.

Whether you could use the drive with FreeBSD depends on whether you
could squeeze some documentation out of HP that explains the SCSI
handling.  Sure, we are interested to see the drive supported (i've
heard this name quite often lately, they appear to be cheap), but i'm
afraid you'll run out of patience until it finally flies.

>  I need to know which Tape Drives
> are fully supported in 2.1.6-RELEASE.  Ill get one of them.

Almost all.  Avoid the el-cheapos, they often have firmware quirks
that make the life harder, see your example.  Exabyte is the
patch-of-the-week firmware company.  HP DATs used to be usable, but
lately, they often die a very early death.  Many people basically
distrust all the helical scan tape drives (including me).

I'm happy with my Tandberg drive, QIC-2.5GB (plus hardware compression
for the 2 and 2.5 GB media).

--
cheers, J"org