Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:04:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, se@FreeBSD.ORG, Shimon@i-connect.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcireg.h lost children... ?

> Now, if we remove this information from the driver and put it
> somewhere in a Big Central Localtion, like, oh say W95 does (seeing as
> you respect their design decisions), the central localtion can be
> updated rapidly without having to rebuild and reinstall the driver.

I don't exactly respect their design decisions; it's just that,
given a choice between some of the BSD design decisions and the
Win95 design decisions, I'd pick the Win95 where ever they've made
tradeoffs in favor of ease of use and BSD hasn't.

> Nifty, eh?

Yes, if it's only a trade of location and not one of size, then
abstraction is the correct apporach, when possible.

> > One big problem I can see this causing (though I admit it cures
> > one of my loudest complaints: destructive probing) is that the
> > vendor/device/driver association list could quicly get too large
> > to fit on the same floppy as the BSD kernel.  8-(.
>
> You split it into two parts; the ones needed to boot with, and a
> second set for "frivolous" devices. 8)

I was actually looking at the draft proposal for the LDAP MIB for
POSIX systems, the other day.  It seems to me that a locally
maintained LDAP breanch accessed through a local library that
could go remote if the information wasn't there, and wasn't able
to try to go remote until the network services were actually up,
is the correct future direction for UNIX password files, etc..

And probably this information, as well.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---