Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:08:58 -0700
From:      Brad Jones <brad@kazrak.com>
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD suitable laptop

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 03:22:46PM -0700, Joseph Scott wrote:
> Brett Glass wrote:
> > The Dell Inspirons seem to work pretty well. You'll need to get the OSS
> > driver from 4front to get the sound going, though. Also, the default IRQs
> > used by /stand/sysinstall for PCMCIA conflict with existing devices, so
> > setup is a little tricky but not too bad.
>
> 	The sound thing is no longer correct.  I've got an Inspiron 7500
> (with the Maestro-2E chipset for sound) that now has working sound.
> I've tested drivers from a couple folks who have been working on
> them.  They aren't in the base system, but I've posted a few messages
> to -mobile about it.

That depends on the Inspiron, actually.  I have an Inspiron 3800, and not
even OSS can get me a driver for the Maestro-3P in it, apparently.
(At least, the list at opensound.com says the Maestro driver is Linux-only.)
Apparently, ESS has been less willing to provide the programming details
on the 3P.

(Other than that, it works great, though.  Didn't have the installation
problems Brett mentions, either, although I didn't try doing an FTP
installation.)

BJ

--
Brad Jones -- brad@kazrak.com
"Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy."