Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:28:07 -0500
From:      Andrew Boyer <aboyer@averesystems.com>
To:        Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Jan Mikkelsen <janm-freebsd-hackers@transactionware.com>
Subject:   Re: mfi (Dell H700) + hot swapping doesn't appear to work with RC1

On Dec 15, 2011, at 1:10 PM, Hugo Silva wrote:

> On 12/15/11 16:40, Andrew Boyer wrote:
>> I'm not sure it would even be possible to come up with a worse =
interface.  It boggles the mind.
>>=20
>> I recommend you always run with this configuration:
>>=20
>> # MegaCli -AdpSetProp AutoEnhancedImportEnbl -aALL
>> # MegaCli -AdpSetProp MaintainPdFailHistoryEnbl -0 -aALL
>>=20
>> AutoEnhancedImportEnbl will bring the foreign disk back in on a =
reboot.  LSI recommends turning off MaintainPdFailHistory when using =
single-disk RAID0 configurations.
>>=20
>=20
> Any gotchas with this enabled? I'm thinking putting in a disk from
> another card, which is part of a raid, in this server, for instance.
>=20

My understanding is that it only imports a foreign configuration if it's =
complete - but I've never tested it.

>> To bring in a foreign disk without rebooting:
>>=20
>> # MegaCli -CfgForeign -Scan -aALL
>> # MegaCli -CfgForeign -Import [x] -aN (where x is the config number =
listed in the scan, and N is the adapter number)
>>=20
>> Adding these capabilities to mfiutil is on my list of things to do, =
but it's not ready yet.
>>=20
>> Has anyone managed to get the real JBOD mode working on this =
controller?  It advertises support in the firmware but doesn't seem to =
do anything.  The documentation only lists JBOD mode as a feature of the =
lower-end controllers.
>>=20
>> Hope this helps.
>>=20
>> -Andrew
>=20
> It does help - thanks! For the same disk being removed and then
> reinserted, the provided commands brought the disk/volume back to
> mfiutil show drives/volumes output, and after a zpool clear, ZFS has =
no
> complains.
>=20
>=20
> For recovery from a software-induced fail (mfiutil fail eX:sX), I
> couldn't perform a recovery using just mfiutil. MegaCli -PDOnline
> -PhysDrv[eX:sX] -aN did it, in that case.
>=20
> For the still-untested case of an altogether new disk being inserted, =
> guess mfiutil create jbod N would do the trick.
>=20
>=20
> BTW, the mfiutil is coredumping when provided with inexistant disks
> (just noticed)

Can you provide the exact command that produces a core?

-Andrew

Andrew Boyer	aboyer@averesystems.com