Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:51:36 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/random

	I am the one who asked the question about /dev/random
earlier today.  I don't know if answers are appropriate on this
list, but here is what I found out:

	The /dev/random device was working but exceedingly slowly
because I was using the wrong IRQ's.  That was partly due to the
fact that all of the FreeBSD systems I am trying to enable
/dev/random on have been up from between 168 to 183 days and
every single one had lost all the dmesg data from their buffers.

	I decided to see if there were any files on the system
whose creation time coincided with the last time it was booted.
That search lead me to /var/dmesg.boot.  Alleluia!  I used the
IRQ for the SCSI disk controller, the CDROM IDE controller and
the Ethernet adapters.  I now seem to have a steady flow of
entropy events.