Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:53:26 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        FreebSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New port - MERGEMASTER -

For future reference, you might want to ask the port's maintainer
before you mail the lists, and in a situation like this you are better
off just downloading the port, which contains a spiffy man page and
everything. :) Also, cross-posting is a bad thing, this is a question so
it belongs on -questions.

William Woods wrote:

> I noticed the new port "mergemaster" to help with merging new scripts and such
> with old....where would I find docs on this, I saw the "help" section that is
> with it , but would like to understand a little more about this before I use it.

	In addition to the man page, the script itself is a Bourne shell script
and is heavily commented. I'm assuming that the help section you
referred to is the port's DESCR file:

The mergemaster script is designed to aid you in updating the various
configuration and other files associated with FreeBSD.  The script
produces a temporary root environment using /usr/src/etc/Makefile which
builds the temporary directory structure from / down, then populates
that
environment with the various files. It then compares each file in that
environment to its installed counterpart. When the script finds a change
in the new file, or there is no installed version of the new file it
gives you four options to deal with it. You can install the new file as
is, delete the new file, merge the old and new files (as appropriate)
using sdiff(1) or leave the file in the temporary root environment to
merge by hand later.

Enjoy,

Doug