Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:29:12 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Andrew <andrew.chace@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: troubles with GDM and XDMCP

--=-50rDJdcP4oOXxFlObzHc

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 15:46 -0600, Andrew wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I've a workstation that I'd like to use as a terminal server for several
> laptops. All are running FreeBSD 6, GNOME 2.12, and GDM. XDMCP is
> enabled on the workstation, but I'm not able to login (remotely) with
> any of the latops. If I run XDMCP chooser from GDM, it times out saying
> that it cannot find any available hosts on the local network. sockstat
> shows that gdm is in fact listening on the workstation; however the
> strange bit is that sockstat shows a udp6 connection. I have ipv6
> disabled in rc.conf on both workstation and laptops. All traffic between
> the workstation and laptops is going through a wireless gateway, and I
> am wondering if perhaps the gateway does not handle ipv6.=20

gdm must have been built with IPv6 support, then.  Gdm either operates
in IPv4 or v6 modes, and not both (yet).  You need to rebuild gdm after
running make rmconfig in the x11/gdm directory.  Be sure not to enable
IPv6 support.

>=20
> So I suppose my questions are: Why is gdm listening on a upd6 socket?
> Does this imply that gdm is able to _make_ requests via ipv6? Anyone
> else have something similar set up?
>=20
> By the way, I really would like to do this with XDMCP, instead of via
> SSH, or VNC, etc for the simple reason that I'm not sure I could live
> without virtual desktops in GNOME :-).=20

If you run GNOME under VNC, you still get virtual desktop support.  I do
it all the time.  The contents of my ~/.vnc/xstartup file are:

#!/bin/sh

export LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session

Joe

--=20

--=-50rDJdcP4oOXxFlObzHc

--=-50rDJdcP4oOXxFlObzHc--